Thursday, August 24, 2006

O Death, Where Is Thy Sting?

I thank you for your many kind comments in the post below about the passing of Big Jim C. I apologize for causing you to think that Jim was my father. He was not. My own Dad died some years ago. Jim was my best friend's father, a man I'd known for more than 40 years.

Even though we were not biologically linked, however, Jim was a father to me in many many ways. He was my Coach and teacher. He gave me my first job that required a tie. Jim was the Chairman of my personal Board of Directors, and he saw right through me.

Throughout my life,Jim never gave up on me, even when I had about given up on myself. And when I failed he'd never ask me why, but rather "What did you see there?" and then listen as I taught my self another lesson. And when at last I'd succeed his praise would be equally subdued. "Of course you did," he'd say.

Of course I did. Thanks to you.

St. Paul was right. There is no sting to death where the life is well lived. Jim approached every day with gusto and faith. Faith in himself. Faith in Christ. And faith in every human being.

I am a better man for having known him.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

from "Incommunicado"

Now on the day that John Wayne died
I found myself on the continental divide
Tell me where do we go from here?
Think I'll ride into Leadville and have a few beers
Think of "Red River",or "Liberty Valence",
can't believe
the old man's gone

But now he's incommunicado
Leaving such a hole in a world that believed
That a life with such bravado
Was taking the right way home


We are lucky to know such men, who stand so tall, who speak so clearly, and set an example that is both demanding and inspirational. If what you described about Jim wasn't real love, I don't know what it was. You were (and are) a lucky man, Mr. rdr.

-Don Brouhaha

portia said...

Lovely sentiments. Both of you.

Signed,
Ferklempt in New York

spd rdr said...

Thanks guys. The only thing that bothers me is the now I'll never be able to hide from him.

Pile On® said...

Sorry I never had the opportunity to meet him.

camojack said...

He's not really gone...as long as you remember him.

Cassandra said...

For once, I'll skip the pompous windbaggery. I'm so sorry.

spd rdr said...

Don't be.

I've got him close by.

Cassandra said...

Well then the windbaggery was superflous anyway, for that was pretty much the gist of my wiped-out and over long comment. I just didn't want to presume.

I'm glad.