Sunday, December 18, 2005

For Liddy...

...who will forever be eight years old.

And I will stroll the merry way
And jump the hedges first
And I will drink the clear
Clean water for to quench my thirst

And I shall watch the ferry-boats
And they’ll get high
On a bluer ocean
Against tomorrow’s sky

And we shall walk and talk
In gardens all misty wet with rain
And I will never, ever, ever
Grow so old again


Oh sweet thing, sweet thing
Sugar-baby with your champagne eyes
And your saint-like smile....

-Van Morrison

Please.
Be generous.

Thank you.

3 comments:

portia said...

And I will stroll the merry way
And jump the hedges first....

And I will never grow so old again.


Calls up memories of summer evenings with childhood friends chasing each other through neighbors' yards; seems like there was always a hedge to jump.

I hope during her short life Liddy had the chance to do that, and more.

Pile On® said...

I like gold fish ponds too. Especially if you have some bread crumbs.

Cassandra said...

Sorry. Wasn’t ignoring this.

I just couldn’t, earlier.

For what it’s worth (probably not much):

The only things worth living for
Are innocence and magic
Know that the light don’t sleep


You have my deepest sympathy.