Monday, July 25, 2005

Happy Birthday, Old Friend


To me, fair friend, you never can be old,
For as you were when first your eye I ey’d,
Such seems your beauty still. Three winters cold
Have from the forests shook three summer’s pride,
Three beauteous springs to yellow autumns turn’d
In process of the seasons have I seen,
Three April perfumes in three hot Junes burn’d,
Since first I saw you fresh, which yet are green.
Ah, yet doth beauty, like a dial hand,
Steal from his figure, and no pace perceiv’d!
So your sweet hue, which methinks still doth stand,
Hath motion, and mine eye may be deceiv’d;
For fear of which, hear this, thou age unbred:
Ere you were born was beauty’s summer dead.

-William Shakespeare

12 comments:

portia said...

Lovely birthday salute to your old friend, spd. I'm sure yours words and good wishes brought a big smile to her face. She probably would prefer it if there weren't so many candles on the cake but her priceless fortune of lifelong friends makes her thankful for every one of them.

To lots more candles...and more CAKE, too:)

Thanks, spd.

spd rdr said...

The pleasure is mine. Happy Birthday, New York.

Jehane said...

Classy tribute to a lovely, gracious, and intelligent lady.

portia said...

Thanks, Cass.
You're up next, Richmond.

spd rdr said...

Yeah, but I ain't there yet!

Jehane said...

But your time ain't long.

spd rdr said...

Young squirt.

Jehane said...

Squirt?

Squirt???

You see Portia? While redheads are worshipped and adored by one and all, boring brunettes get no respect :)

portia said...

A lot of good my hair color did me Cass, he called me old:)
I'll trade ya.

Jehane said...

Portia, redheads don't have a cunning reputation for nothin'. Just sit back and blush like yer supposed to, woman, when you're deservedly complimented :)

The way I see it lady, he called you eternally young and lovely, which (coincidentally) is just how I had imagined you. And since mr rdr is the only one who has a clue what *both* of us look like, that is not only quite a compliment, but it puts you one up on ole' squirt breath here... :D

[laughing at the image of the male of the species running like helk to get clear]

spd rdr said...

Girls.

Jehane said...

Yep. Ain't it wonderful?